Monday, March 31, 2014

1st Grade Royal Self Portraits


I've mentioned before I love teaching portraits.  1st graders do an awesome job with this particular project. The second I mentioned students would be making "royal" self portraits making themselves into a king or queen, the sound of Lorde's "Royals" filled the air. I try to start this project on a day we end a project early and have some time at the end.  The first step of the project really only takes about 15-20 minutes.  Simply start by drawing the face shape, ears, neck, and shoulders.  Using my skin color chart that I talk about here, students pick their number and paint the skin.  They go on the drying rack and are ready for the real work to begin.

We come back on the second day and draw all of our facial features together and outline them all with sharpie.  Some classes start with oil pastels on this day, but all classes finish coloring details on the 3rd day.  Because of time constraints I gave students a precut crown that they were able to decorate. 

This is definitely one of my favorite lessons to teach and I love the final product.  Take a look at last years portraits





No comments:

Post a Comment