Tuesday, March 10, 2015

The Answer to Our Pencil Sharpening Woes

This pretty much goes without saying, but me (like most of you) hate sharpening pencils!!!!  You can read more about my loathe for colored pencils here.  But I mean really, sharpening pencils is noisy, distracting, and there's always that kid who has to get up and sharpen their pencil right as you are giving instructions.  I. Can't. Even. Handle. It.

Fear no more, I've solved the problem.  Or rather Classroom Friendly Supplies has. 

Have you seen these pencil sharpeners?  They come in pretty colors AND, I kid you not, within 5 minutes of having it in my room for the first time every single student noticed.  


It can be mobile or you cant mount it.  Both ways work well and I even tried it with my 1st graders, and it was easy to use.


It does make a little noise, but it seems silent compared to your traditional wall mounted pencil sharpener or an electric one.


And you know how sometimes you sharpen a pencil to just have the lead fall out immediately?  I'm yet to have this happen with the Classroom Friendly Supply pencil sharpener.  In fact, I'm impressed with how sharp the pencils get every time I use it, and my students are certainly noticing as well.

(Yeah I know I might look tired, that's because I am...parent teacher conferences make for some long days!)

Here's a little visual comparison for you.  I tested a regular no. 2 pencil, a prismacolor drawing pencil, and a crayola colored pencil in three different pencil sharpeners. 


X-ACTO School Pro Electric Sharpener:

X-ACTO Standard wall mounted sharpener:

I'd say we have a clear winner.  Go check out Classroom Friendly Supplies, they've got some great products.  I'm hoping to get a class set...maybe just maybe, I'll do a few more colored pencil projects.






2 comments:

  1. I LOVE THIS SHARPENER!!!! Funny story about it... I bought one for my grandpa for Christmas two years ago because what else do you buy an 88 year old! It was his favorite Christmas gift and he demonstrated it to everyone who came over to the house. Now I drop off buckets of broken pencils and he sharpens them for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! You should get your own, it is seriously like the greatest thing ever.

      Delete